ODI World Cup 2023 Rules:According to ODI World Cup 2023 Schedule the 13th edition of the ICC Cricket World Cup will be hosted by India from October 5 and final game of the icc WC will play on November 19, 2023. Ten teams will compete for the prestigious trophy.Each team will play each other once in the group stage, resulting in a total of 45 matches. The top two teams from the group stage will advance to the semifinals.
In this article, we explain the World Cup 2023 Rules, Format for Group Stage, Knockout, And Final Matches.
ODI World Cup 2023 Rules
ICC ODI World Cup 2023 Rules:The 2023 ODI World Cup will be held entirely in India for the first time. The first match will be played between England and New Zealand on October 5 at the Narendra Modi Stadium in Ahmedabad.
World Cup 2023 Rules state that,Ten teams will compete in the 2023 international cricket Council World Cup, just like the last time. Teams have been qualifying for the tournament for the past three years.
The 50-over World Cup will have some unique rules, different from other cricket formats. Read more about the World Cup 2023 Rules here.
Rules for Sessions and toss in Wc 2023
- World Cup 2023 matches will be played in two sessions of 3.5 hours each, with a 45-minute break in between.
- Immediately after the toss, the captains will name their playing XIs.
Over limits and bowling restrictions Rules in World Cup 2023
- Each bowler is limited to bowling a maximum of 10 overs per innings, unless the match is rain-shortened, in which case the over limit may be reduced.
- In any case, no bowler can bowl more than 20% of the total overs in an innings.
Rules for Fielding restrictions and powerplays in CWC 2023
- In the first 10 overs of an innings (the mandatory powerplay), the fielding team can have no more than two fielders outside the 30-yard circle. This means that only attacking fields can be set during the powerplay.
- Between overs 11 and 40, the fielding team can have up to four fielders outside the 30-yard circle. Either attacking or normal fields can be set during this period.
- In the final 10 overs, the bowling captain can have up to five fielders outside the 30-yard circle. Any type of field (attacking, defensive, or normal) can be used during the third powerplay.
Cricket World Cup 2023 Powerplay notation Rules
- The three powerplays are referred to as P1, P2, and P3, respectively, and are usually displayed near the score in modern scorecards.
What Rules says if Ties in World Cup 2023
- If the scores are equal at the end of the match, it is a tie, regardless of the number of wickets lost by either team.
- For knockout and final matches, a super over will be played to determine the winner.
Unfinished matches in World Cup Rules
- If the game is interrupted by rain or other external factors for an extended period of time, the match may be postponed to its reserve day (only for the semi-final and final).
- If the match does not have a reserve day, the Duckworth-Lewis-Stern (DLS) method will be used to determine the winner.
World Cup 2023 knockout stage rules for Pakistan and India
- If Pakistan qualify for the semi-finals, they will play in Kolkata.
- If India qualify for the semi-finals, they will play in Mumbai, unless they are playing against Pakistan, in which case they will play in Kolkata.
Qualification Process for the 2023 Cricket World Cup
- The top seven teams in the Cricket World Cup Super League (CWCSL) table, plus India (as hosts), will qualify for the tournament.
Qualification through the qualifier:
- The final two spots in the tournament will be filled by the winners of the ICC Men’s Cricket World Cup Qualifier 2023.
- The 10 participating teams will be divided into two groups of 5 teams each.
- Each team will play the other teams in their group once.
- The top three teams from each group will progress to the Super Six round.
- The bottom two teams from each group will play a playoff round for minor placings (7-10).
Super Six round
- The top three teams from each group will join the other six teams in the Super Six round.
- Each team will play the other teams in the Super Six round once.
- The top two teams from the Super Six round will qualify for the final.
- The top two teams from the Super Six round will play each other in the final.
- The winner of the final will qualify for the ICC Men’s Cricket World Cup 2023 in India.
Other notable features
- All matches in the qualifier tournament will have ODI status.
- DRS will be used in the tournament, but only for matches in the Super Six stage and onwards.
- This will be the first time that DRS has been used in the Cricket World Cup Qualifier tournament.
World Cup 2023 Group Stage Rules
World Cup 2023 Format
- The World Cup 2023 will be contested by 10 teams in a single round-robin group stage, followed by knockout matches.
- Each team will play the other nine teams once.
- Two points are awarded for a win, one point for a tie, and no points for a loss.
- Group matches will not have a reserve day.
Group Stage Qualification in WC 2023
- The top four teams from the group stage will qualify for the semi-finals.
Knockout stage rules in CWC 2023
- The top four teams in the World Cup 2023 points table will advance to the semi-finals.
- Semi-final 1 will be played between the first-placed team and the fourth-placed team, and semi-final 2 will be played between the second-placed team and the third-placed team.
- The winners of the semi-finals will play in the final.
- The final of the World Cup 2023 will be played on November 13 at the Narendra Modi Stadium in Ahmedabad.
A prominent figure in sports journalism for the last two decades. Cricket Analyst & Writing News, Features, Match Previews/Reviews/Reports, And Opinion Pieces on Cricket. You can connect with him on Facebook also.